Hohensalzburg


the Fortress of Salzburg
Seated high in the Moenschberg, the Fortress of Salzburg
appears like a white crown above the city.
Construction of the Fortress began in 1077 during the Investiture Controversy between the Pope and the Emperor. It was well padded with comforts by Leonhard von Keutschdach in the 16th century. It was taken over by the French at the beginning of the 19th century, and after secularization of the ecclesiastical principality in 1803, was used as barracks and a prison. The state apartments and golden hall are not to be missed.

Errichtet im 1077 wurde auf einem Auslaefer des Moenchsbergs die Feste gegrundet; im 13Jh. nahm sie schon das ganze Festungsplateau ein. 1800 jedoch fiel sie kampflos an die Franzosen. Der goldene Saal und die Goldene Stube mit dem unvergleichlichen kachelofen (1501) haven an Pracht der mit kostbären Schnitzwerk foermlich übersäten Innausstattung kaum iresgleichen.


Salzburg
Austria
+43 (0) 622/842430-11
festung@salzburg.qv.at



Home Page | Aistersheim Wasserschloss | Heidenreichstein Castle | Chateau Chillon | Renaissanceschloss Rosenburg | Links



This page was last updated on 16 November 2008.